Thursday, March 26, 2009

How to apply for a passport for minor(s) in India

It is better to apply for the passport of your kid as early as you can. Many times it happens that you are asked to move to other country at a very short notice. Moreover, in some cases, a number of foreign Diplomatic Missions are refusing to grant visas if minor's name is included in the parents' passport. So, it is better you get your kid’s passport made as early as possible.


Most of the formalities are the same like adults. You need to fill a fresh application form and attach the proofs with the form. Before you apply for a passport of your kid, ensure the following:

  • You must have seven identical black and white photographs of your kid which will be pasted on the boxes provided in the form. Read carefully before pasting the photos as at some boxes you have to paste unsigned photos only.
  • If the child can not put her/his signature, then you have to take the thumb impression.
  • Besides proofs of residence and DOB, you have to attach a DD for a prescribed amount, payable to the regional passport office or its designated center.
  • Two self-attested copies of the parents’ passport are required to attach with the minor’s application form. If neither of the parents has a passport, then you have to produce an affidavit from both the parents. (Follow the specimen given at Annexure 'D' of the passport form).
  • If any of the parents has a passport then, you need to attach the photocopy of the same and for the other one, produce affidavit. The specimen is given in the end of the form.
  • To get an ECNR (emigration check not required) endorsement on the passport of a kid, either of the parents needs to present two self-attested photocopies of first four pages and last four pages of passport.
  • If the parents are not the legal guardians of a child, then they must produce an affidavit by the legal guardian.
  • However, an affidavit is needed if they parents are separated but not formally divorced or a single parent.
  • If the parents of a child are residing outside India, then a sworn affidavit, duly attested by an Indian embassy/consulate is required at the time of submitting the form.  
  • To issue a passport for a minor, it is required to get the consent or signature of the parents. If only one of the parents is available then he/she can sign the form and attach the sworn affidavit. The specimen of the affidavit should be based on the specimen provided in the form itself.

Besides, there will be police verification and other formalities before you get your child’s passport in your hand.


Rohan said...

I m from patna and working at gurgaon since 3 years,so may i subbmit my passport form at gurgaon?

Monica Gupta said...

I have just got passport for my daughter under tatkal scheme in delhi the info might be useful.

Divy said...

Actually i am also minor and my parents also don't have passport. Please let me know that how can i apply for passport. You'd described that a minor have to submit an affidavit like annexure-D but annexure-D is for "CHANGE OF NAME AFTER MARRIAGE for a women".

Please clarify!


mahesh said...

I am working In gulf.My wife has a passport now i want to apply passport for my son of age 1yr.old...for them is ECNR need?.for coming to Qatar.If yes then what is the process.for tatqal within how many days i will get passport of my son and what is the fees.

passport said...

respected sir i am a student of 1st year bipc at visakhapatnam in sri chaitanya college my age now 16 years,can i apply for passport???? and what r the doccuments i have to produce to them

alka said...

My passport is with my maiden name and i don have any proof for my current residence. My husband's passport with our old address. what all i suppose to do?d

Indians Script said...

Getting passport for minor is every easy now a days..

ssc online

Meenu said...

How to apply passport for a minor if her parents also doesnt possess passport???

admin said...

@ Meenu Just Walk in to your PSK And Ask Them

Mohammed Shaheen said...

if there is no mothers passport what want to do?

Unknown said...

mea website says,they will issue passport (if no police verification) in 3 working days - it's absolute trash.Don't believe it.They will take usual time which could be weeks/months.If urgent better go for Tatkal

jaswant kumar said...

hello sir,, now just i m complete my 18,, and i want to apply for passport,, so i want to know is this suitable age for passpost..